Acorn Squash with Chickpeas & Chimichurri Recipe
Yearly in November, I wish to submit one new vegetarian essential dish recipe. I discover that Thanksgiving hosts typically wish to have a particular choice for vegetarians at their desk, particularly if they’re newer to the household. However what folks don’t know is that, for probably the most half, herbivores are often simply as joyful to replenish on stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, roasted veggies, pumpkin pie, and extra.
So this 12 months, my “essential dish” is doubling as a aspect dish. As an alternative of creating large acorn squash halves filled with all the pieces and the kitchen sink, leaving me method too full to eat the rest, I’m making a platter of acorn squash quarters, stuffed with warmly spiced chickpeas and topped with a tangy chimichurri. It’s a scrumptious dish with unexpectedly shiny flavors that everybody can take pleasure in.
I made these a number of weeks in the past for dinner for my prolonged household (which is how I check out Thanksgiving weblog recipes) they usually have been an enormous hit subsequent to some yummy mashed potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts (that I’ll let you know about in a future submit). Oh, and I nearly forgot to say, all of those recent components may be discovered so simply and affordably at ALDI. I typically spend hours (and a whole bunch of ) on the grocery retailer for an enormous household dinner, however Jack and I gathered all the pieces for our complete household meal in about 20 minutes at ALDI, together with these seasonal acorn squashes.
For the recipe, you’ll first quarter the acorn squash and get it roasting.
Because the squash roasts, begin the chickpeas. I cooked the chickpea filling with yellow onion, and braised them in a bit vegetable broth seasoned with lemon, cumin, and a contact of cinnamon. I do know, it appears like an odd mixture but it surely actually works – the pinch of cinnamon brings out the candy, taste of the acorn squash. I additionally wish to point out that ALDI’s Dakota’s Pleasure chickpeas are my favourite canned chickpeas of all time – they’ve a extra al dente chew than others, which signifies that they maintain their form properly as you prepare dinner them.
For some recent herbaceous taste, I made a topping that’s a riff on chimichurri. Or moderately, it began as a chimichurri, however I needed the sauce to be thick sufficient to take a seat on prime of the chickpeas, moderately than fall throughout the crevices, so I added some floor pepitas for texture. In addition they present a pleasant nutty taste.
A drizzle of lemony yogurt provides a creamy contact. And for a bit spice, I sprinkled every squash piece with a number of pink pepper flakes.
Completely happy Thanksgiving month! Keep tuned for some superior mashed potatoes arising subsequent week, and till then, go take a look at the entire reasonably priced recent finds at ALDI!
Acorn Squash with Chickpeas & Chimichurri
- 2 acorn squash, seeded and lower into quarters
- Merely Nature Natural Additional-Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- ½ cup Southern Grove Pepitas (salted), extra for garnish* (see observe)
- freshly floor black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons recent lemon juice
- ⅓ cup Merely Nature Natural Additional-Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Specifically Chosen 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Merely Nature Natural Additional-Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Merely Nature Natural Floor Cumin
- Pinch of Merely Nature Natural Floor Cinnamon
- 1 (14-ounce) can Dakota’s Pleasure Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup Merely Nature Natural Vegetable Broth
- 2 teaspoons recent lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- ½ cup Pleasant Farms Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon recent lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Merely Nature Natural Additional-Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast, lower aspect up, 35 to 40 minutes, or till tender and browned across the edges.
- Make the chimichurri. Pulse ½ cup of the pepitas in a meals processor and course of till finely floor. Switch to a small bowl and add the pepper, pink pepper flakes, garlic, cilantro, and stir. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and maple syrup and stir till mixed. Put aside.
- Simmer the chickpeas. Warmth the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion, a pinch of salt, and prepare dinner till smooth, 5 to eight minutes, till browned, turning down the warmth as wanted. Flip the warmth to low and add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon and chickpeas. Stir to coat, then add the broth, ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper, and simmer 5 minutes. Take away from the warmth and stir within the lemon juice. Put aside, permitting the combination to thicken. Stir within the cilantro simply earlier than assembling the dish.
- Make the lemon yogurt. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
- On a platter, assemble the squash quarters, topped with the chickpeas, chimichurri, garnish with extra cilantro and pepitas. Prime with the lemon yogurt.
*Word: in the event you use uncooked pepitas, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt to the chimichurri.
Particular due to ALDI for partnering on this submit!
- Previous The Best Meatloaf Recipes – The Best Blog Recipes
- Next A Vegetarian Holiday Meal Guide for Winter Meals