Apple Cranberry Custard Torte with Butterscotch Rum Sauce
This deliciously decadent dessert created by Chef Roland Glauser, of Charlotte Lane, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, makes nice use of native Annapolis Valley apples, cranberries and a particularly easy and wealthy rum from Ironworks Distiller in Lunenburg. It’s a beautiful autumnal torte.
See different associated recipes in Nova Scotian Surf
Yield: eight servings
Shelf life: 2 to three days
For the torte:
three massive eggs
1½ cups sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅔ cup entire milk
four½ ounces unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 McIntosh or different crisp sweet-tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
½ cup cranberries
For the sauce:
1 stick (four ounces) unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
darkish rum, to style
recent mint sprigs
¼ cup slivered almonds, frivolously toasted
- Warmth the oven to 375 F. Place racks within the higher and decrease thirds of the oven. Brush a 9-inch springform pan with somewhat melted butter and flour it.
- In a big bowl, beat the eggs and sugar collectively till easy. Sift within the flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk, butter and vanilla and blend till nicely blended. Stir within the apples and cranberries, scrape into the ready pan and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake the torte for 10 minutes after which transfer it to the higher rack, and bake for about 50 minutes, till a knife or picket skewer inserted within the middle comes out clear. Scale back the warmth if the cake will get too darkish. It ought to look golden and caramelized.
- Take away from the oven and punctiliously pull a pointy knife alongside the ring however don’t open the springform. Cool utterly within the fridge, ideally in a single day, earlier than eradicating the pan. If refrigerated for longer than a day, switch to a glass plate to keep away from oxidation of the pan.
- Earlier than serving, make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk the butter, brown sugar, cream and salt and convey to a boil. Scale back the warmth and simmer for five minutes, stirring often. Take away from the warmth, whisk within the vanilla (taking care as it’s going to bubble up) and rum, to style. Take away and refrigerate till barely heat. If wanted, reheat barely in a microwave.
Dietary Information (per serving): Energy: 610; Ldl cholesterol: 155 mg; Sodium: 230 mg; Fats: 31 g; Dietary Fiber: three g