BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches (vegan!) Recipe
I’ve gotten SO many requests for a BBQ Jackfruit recipe. It took me just a little time to get this one good, however right here we’re! These are meaty, juicy, smoky, just a little spicy… and a complete mess to eat, however isn’t that what saucy sandwiches are all about?
In case you haven’t been asking for a jackfruit recipe, you’re most likely now asking – what the heck is jackfruit?
Nicely, it’s a funny-looking fruit that doesn’t actually have a lot taste (it’s actually not candy and fruit-like). If you pull aside the items it has the feel of shredded meat. It doesn’t often develop on this a part of the world, nevertheless it’s changing into simpler to search out within the canned part of grocery shops (I bought mine at Dealer Joe’s).
Whereas the feel actually feels meaty, the jackfruit itself is low on taste like I mentioned. Meaning the sauce you set with it actually has to depend. I’ve had so many jackfruit sandwiches at eating places the place the BBQ sauce was method too candy, so my sauce right here is on the smoky/spicy aspect, full of taste from chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, smoked paprika, and cumin.
I sauté the jackfruit with an almost-caramelized onion to deepen the flavour much more.
This can be a nice make-ahead get together meal. The BBQ sauce and the jackfruit can each be made upfront and reheated. If you’re able to serve, make the short cabbage slaw to go on prime for crunch. It’s merely made with thinly shredded cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Serve these with pickles and no matter fixings you want!
Oh, and don’t overlook additional BBQ sauce on the aspect for serving – so juicy!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches (vegan!)
- 2 chipotle peppers + 2 tablespoons of sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (20-ounce) can jackfruit, drained, pull aside to shred
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- eight slider buns or 6 hamburger buns
- Desired fixings: pickles, mustard, serrano peppers, and many others.
- Make the BBQ sauce: In a meals processor, mix the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, and some grinds of pepper till easy. Put aside.
- Put together the jackfruit: In a big skillet, warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil to medium warmth. Add the sliced onion and salt and cook dinner, stirring often, till gentle, eight to 10 minutes, turning down the warmth as needed. Add the shredded jackfruit and cook dinner 5 minutes, stirring. Add a splash of water if essential to maintain it from sticking to the pan. Stir within the ½ cup water and half of the BBQ sauce. Flip the warmth to low, cowl, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Take away the duvet and stir in half of the remaining BBQ sauce, reserving the remaining for serving.
- Make the slaw: In a medium-large bowl, mix the cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and pinches of salt and pepper.
- Serve the sliders with the jackfruit, the remaining BBQ sauce, the slaw, and desired fixings.
- Previous Oven-Baked Hatch Chile Salsa Verde Honey Chicken Thighs
- Next California Avocado Tomatillo Soup with Cumin