Blueberry Lemon Zest Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Right here’s how a lot I like these cookies: after I end typing this put up, I’m going to go downstairs to the kitchen to make extra. I prefer to retailer stashes of those cookies within the freezer as a result of they’re a superbly portioned day by day breakfast for me. The freezer can be an effective way to cover them from Jack, who would in any other case eat one each time he walks previous the kitchen counter 🙂
These cookies are each vegan and gluten free. They’ve fiber from the oats, protein and wholesome fat from the almond butter, and so they’re naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Who needs to eat a bowl of oatmeal when you’ll be able to eat a cookie for breakfast!? Okay, when you’re an oatmeal lover, possibly don’t reply that.
This recipe is a revamped model of my Carrot Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies. They’ve been a fan favourite (and household favourite) for years now. This time: blueberries! lemon zest! I simply love these shiny late-summer flavors together with the almond butter and comfortable cinnamon. This recipe additionally occurs to be much less time consuming to make than the carrot cookies as a result of tossing in blueberries is rather a lot faster than grating carrots!
These cookies get flippantly crisp on the underside, however as you’ll see, they’re fairly puffy – extra like a muffin high than a flat/crispy oatmeal cookie. They’re large and substantial, however not too dense and under no circumstances dry. Almond butter binds them collectively giving them a splendidly nutty taste and texture.
Joyful Friday baking!
Blueberry Lemon Zest Breakfast Cookies
- 2 tablespoons floor flaxseed + 5 tablespoons heat water
- 1 cup oat flour (comprised of 1¼ cups entire rolled oats)*
- 1 cup (extra) entire rolled oats
- ½ cup almond flour
- zest of 1 lemon (about ½ tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¾ cup contemporary blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed and heat water and put aside to thicken for five minutes.
- In a big bowl, stir collectively the oat flour, the extra 1 cup rolled oats, almond flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup and stir effectively to include. Stir within the flaxseed combination.
- Add the moist substances to the bowl of dry substances and fold in simply till mixed. Fold within the walnuts and blueberries.
- Scoop ¼ cup of batter for every cookie onto the baking sheet. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or till browned across the edges. Cool on the pan for five minutes after which switch to a wire rack to complete cooling.
- When cookies are utterly cool, they are often saved in an hermetic container or frozen.
In case you are gluten free, be sure you use licensed gluten free oats.
When you make this, allow us to see! Tag your picture with #loveandlemons on Instagram.