Cheddar, Leek, and Potato Frittata with Tomatillo-Apple Ketchup
This frittata is a colourful spin on eggs and potatoes with ketchup. Fairly than the everyday purple condiment, this tangy-sweet inexperienced ketchup is an ideal praise to the wealthy flavors of the frittata. You can even use the ketchup on grilled or fried hen, shrimp, and extra. Word that the ketchup wants to sit down for at the least a pair hours for the flavors to develop and meld.
Yield: 6 to eight parts of frittata: 2½ cups of ketchup
Prep time: 30 minutes for the frittata; 30 minutes to organize ketchup, plus 2 hours for flavors to develop
Shelf life: The frittata lasts for three to four days when refrigerated; ketchup lasts 2 to three weeks beneath refrigeration
See different associated recipes in New Fruity, Savory, and Spicy Ketchups—No Tomatoes Added
12 ounces tomatillos, hulled and chopped
eight ounces peeled, cored, and chopped Granny Smith apples
four ounces distilled white vinegar
three to four ounces agave nectar or sugar
1 (2-ounce) can roasted and chopped inexperienced chilies
1 ounce minced onion
½ ounce chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon complete allspice berries
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon floor mace
Cheddar, Leek, Potato Frittata
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 ounces small white potatoes, thinly sliced
2 ounces white and light-weight inexperienced elements of leek, thinly sliced
eight massive eggs
three tablespoons half-and-half
¼ teaspoon salt
Beneficiant pinch floor black pepper
eight ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 ounce finely diced purple bell pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped recent oregano, plus just a few leaves for garnish
- In a big non-reactive saucepan, mix the tomatillos, apples, vinegar, agave, chilies, onion, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds, and mace; deliver to a boil over excessive warmth. Cut back the warmth to medium-high and prepare dinner till the tomatillos have damaged down, about 20 minutes, stirring usually.
- Scrape into the jar of an electrical blender and purée till clean. If obligatory, return the combination to the pan and boil till decreased to about 2 half of cups. Put aside for two to three hours for the flavors to develop, then style to regulate the flavors.
Cheddar, Leek, Potato Frittata
- Put together the Tomatillo-Apple Ketchup (beneath). Preheat the oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit.
- In a 10-inch non-stick skillet, warmth the oil and butter over medium-high warmth. Add the potatoes and leeks and sauté till the potatoes are simply tender, 5 to six minutes, stirring usually. Flip the warmth to low.
- In a big bowl, beat the eggs, half-&-half, salt, and pepper collectively. Utilizing a slotted spoon, switch the potatoes and leeks to the bowl with the eggs. Stir within the cheese, pepper, and oregano, mixing properly.
- Flip the warmth to medium. Scape the egg combination into the pan and let it prepare dinner till set across the edges, 2 to three minutes. Don’t stir. Switch to the oven, partially cowl, and prepare dinner till the eggs are simply set, about 15 minutes.
- Take away, let it stand for a few minutes, then reduce into wedges and serve with ketchup. The frittata may additionally be served at room temperature.
- Previous Prepared Food Focus: Cooking With Coffee
- Next Sweet Potato-Chive Pancakes with Dried Plum-Pear Ketchup