Chocolate Chile Doughnuts
Chocolate with a touch of chile powder and cayenne (for stronger palates) makes for flavorful, moist doughnuts. A shiny glaze of chocolate topped with chopped toasted almonds makes these treats seductive.
By Joanna Pruess
See different associated recipes in Cupcake Rivals.
Yield: eight to 9 doughnuts
Prep time: 40 minutes, plus unattended chilling time
Shelf life: 1 day
For the doughnuts:
1½ ounces bittersweet chocolate
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
½ cup sugar
³∕eight cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper (elective)
Three ounces buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 massive egg, plus 1 massive egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the glaze:
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped
four tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
½ tablespoon mild corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. In a meals processor, course of the chocolate till finely chopped. Add the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, chile powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne, if utilizing. Pulse till nicely blended.
2. In a spouted measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, butter, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Pour into the meals processor by way of the feed tube and pulse till simply blended. Scrape the dough right into a bowl, cowl and refrigerate for at the least 1 hour.
Three. Liberally flour a workspace, and switch the dough on it so either side are coated. Utilizing a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of ½ inch. Utilizing a Three-inch doughnut cutter (or ring with a second 1-inch ring for the middle) minimize out the doughnuts, gathering any scraps collectively and re-rolling.
four. Switch the doughnuts to a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or as much as a number of hours).
5. Fry the doughnuts: In a big deep skillet, pour in sufficient oil to measure Three inches, and warmth to 365 F. Add the doughnuts separately and fry for about 1½ minutes per facet, turning as soon as. Don’t crowd. Take away with a slotted spoon to a wire rack and let cool. Fry the remaining doughnuts.
6. Put together the glaze: Unfold the almonds on a plate. In a small saucepan over a medium flame, warmth the butter, cream, corn syrup and vanilla till the butter is melted. Scale back the warmth, and stir within the chocolate. Take away the pan from the warmth and whisk within the sugar.
7. Instantly dip one facet of every doughnut into the glaze after which into the almonds. Return them to the rack for the glaze to set, at the least 30 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per doughnut): Energy: 320; Ldl cholesterol: 50 mg; Sodium: 25 mg; Fats: 12 g; Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Ingredient Value Sheets
|1½ ounces bittersweet chocolate||$.51-.84|
|¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour||$.21-.36|
|¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour||$.38-.63|
|½ cup sugar||$.10-.16|
|³∕eight cup cocoa powder||$1.26-2.10|
|1 teaspoon chile powder||$.07-.15|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon||$.10-.17|
|½ teaspoon baking powder||$.09-.11|
|½ teaspoon baking soda||$.09-.11|
|½ teaspoon salt||$.09-.11|
|pinch cayenne pepper (elective)||$.09-.11|
|Three ounces buttermilk||$.22-.37|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted||$.15-.25|
|1 massive egg, plus 1 massive egg yolk||$.08-.13|
|1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract||$.09-.15|
|vegetable oil, for deep-frying||$1.43-2.39|
|½ cup plus 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped||$1.40-2.33|
|four tablespoons unsalted butter||$.30-.50|
|2 tablespoons heavy cream||$.14-.24|
|½ tablespoon mild corn syrup||$.03-.05|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||$.09-.15|
|2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped||$.67-1.12|
|1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted||$.21-.35|
- Previous Mexican Chocolate Cake with Smoked Chile Ganache and Chocolate Glaze
- Next Prepared Food Focus: Specialty Oil Infusions