Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Matcha Frosting (Vegan) Recipe
I awakened the opposite morning and thought… Matcha Frosting! Then I spotted that with St. Patrick’s day arising, cake with inexperienced frosting could be a enjoyable deal with. I had but to eat breakfast that morning, however all I might take into consideration was chocolate cake. Inform me I’m not the one one who wakes up with random cake cravings? 🙂
This cake relies on the chocolate zucchini muffin recipe from our cookbook (one among my favourite recipes!). The frosting is loosely based mostly on the cashew frosting from my carrot cake recipe.
I understand that zucchini’s aren’t precisely in season, however going together with the inexperienced theme, I assumed it was becoming. Plus, sneaking greens into cake is at all times a good suggestion… er… typically a good suggestion. Properly, not less than it’s when the vegetable is zucchini.
This cake could be very moist and a bit dense in an excellent fudgy approach. The frosting is constructed from cashews with a tiny little bit of matcha blended in to tint it inexperienced. You might additionally make this into muffins/cupcakes when you like, simply cut back the baking time to about 15 minutes. For those who skip the frosting, I like to recommend including half cup chocolate chips for additional chocolatey goodness.
Pleased St. Paddy’s week!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Matcha Frosting (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon floor flaxseed
- three tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or half white/half wheat)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1¼ cups uncooked cashews
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons stable coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon matcha tea powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the bottom flaxseed and water and put aside to thicken. Stir the vinegar into the almond milk and put aside.
- In a big bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flaxseed combination, almond milk/vinegar combination, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour the moist substances into the bowl with the dry substances and stir till simply mixed. Don’t over combine. Fold within the zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or till the highest of the cake springs again to the contact. Cool utterly earlier than frosting.
- Make the frosting: In a blender, mix the cashews, almond milk, powdered sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, matcha, and sea salt and course of till clean and creamy. Add extra matcha, if desired. Chill till prepared to make use of, or for not less than 20 minutes to agency up.
one other observe: matcha varies in coloration, some are very vibrant inexperienced, some are extra uninteresting, so the colour of your frosting could fluctuate based mostly on the matcha that you just use. I used Aiya Matcha right here.
For those who make this, allow us to see! Tag your photograph with #loveandlemons on Instagram.