GKS Meal Prepping
It’s a brand new yr and as an alternative of all the same old resolutions, cleanses and guarantees we have now merely determined that 2018 goes to be the yr that we slay weekend meal prepping. We’re speaking Sunday night batch cooking, roasting, peeling and jaring – grandma type – right here. We’ve got beforehand been half-doing this with a extra random batch cooking strategy (which you’ll learn extra about within the first chapter of Inexperienced Kitchen at House). However we’re stepping issues up now. Life with three children is hectic as it’s and this methodology helps us to eat properly throughout the week, save time and be extra spontanious. It additionally helps us avoiding these hangry (hungry/offended) kid-situations. We have solely been doing this correctly for the previous months now however thought we’d begin sharing the fundamentals instantly, in case you guys need to begin doing this together with us.
Meals prepping is a straightforward methodology and absolutely lots of you already know the fundamentals. The concept is that it’s a lot simpler to cook dinner and eat actual meals in the course of the week should you put together and cook dinner a few of the elements on the weekend earlier than. Much less prepping in the course of the week additionally means fewer bowls, boards and knives to clear up. So we deal with issues that may keep recent within the fridge in the course of the week and can be utilized in quite a lot of totally different meals. Some issues are cooked or roasted and different are merely peeled, rinsed or chopped. And we additionally make one or two sauces/dips/dressing that we are able to use for our grains and salads. Lots of the issues we point out will appear tremendous fundamental (like peeling a carrot), nevertheless it does truly make an enormous distinction to have these prepared when the children come asking and you’re busy doing one thing else. We promise that you simply and your loved ones will eat 4 instances extra carrots with this methodology. Thank us later.
Earlier than you begin you may want high spend money on a few clear glass containers and jars (we use Ball jars, Weck jars and some different jars). They offers you a very good visible overlook of what you’ve obtained within the fridge whereas additionally storing the meals within the freshest doable means. Ensure that they are often stacked simply so that they don’t take up an excessive amount of house in your fridge and pantry. You should use marking tape if you wish to preserve monitor of how outdated your meals is, nevertheless it’s often best to simply look, odor and style.
The Finish Recreation
As we’re nonetheless rookies on this, we aren’t doing full on meal planning but. We don’t have an actual plan what dishes we’ll be consuming for lunch and dinner all through the week. What we as an alternative deal with at this level is offering a lot of good choices by having a mixture of cooked and uncooked elements, sauces, leftovers and snacks. Many days we merely mix cooked grains, roasted greens, uncooked greens and fruit in a bowl, drizzle with one of many sauces and high with some toasted seeds (just like the bowl within the picture additional down). It’s a very good on a regular basis lunch bowl or field that might be assorted endlessly relying on seasons and what grains/lentils/sauce you’ve gotten prepped. As for the children, they often choose their roasted greens served individually with the sauce, grains, chickpeas on the facet. So merely not as combined. And if we have now ready a tomato sauce, we would possibly use it for a baked pasta dish at some point and inside an enchilada one other day. Simply to provide you an thought. We aren’t focusing an excessive amount of on the last dishes on this weblog put up however will share extra concepts later. There are additionally many recipes in Inexperienced Kitchen at House that may be matched with these preps.
So take a breath and scroll by way of this listing of strategies what to prep and recipe hyperlinks. Clearly we don’t prep all of those in the identical week. If you’re new to this, take one hour within the coming weekend and put together one sauce, one container with cooked grains, beans or lentils, one tray of roasted veggies and a big jar of peeled carrots in water to start out with. It’s in fact additionally allowed to take shortcuts and purchase a pesto, hummus or no matter else you would possibly must make your weekdays simpler. One step on the time.
Vegetable sticks in water
– We peel or scrub carrots and reduce them into sticks that we retailer in jars with water within the fridge. It’s the best snack when our children say that they’re hungry however dinner isn’t prepared. We retailer them in water so that they don’t dry out within the fridge. The deluxe model is to dip them in a jar of hummus or nut butter. Nom nom!
We additionally rinse and chop cucumber or bell pepper in chunk measurement sticks that we retailer in the identical means.
Peeled and reduce beetroots
– Peeling beetroot means getting your fingers tainted purple. Until you had been gloves. So it’s straightforward to skip them. Subsequently we peel an entire batch whereas our fingers are already tainted after which reduce them into smaller bits. That means we are able to put them on a tray and roast within the oven with a drizzle of oil and salt even when time is brief. Or toss in our juicer for a fast beetroot, apple & lemon juice. It makes juicing a lot simpler when the beetroots are already peeled and reduce in a measurement that matches the juicer.
Lettuce, spinach & kale
– Rinse, chop off thick stems and retailer wrapped in a towel within the fridge for fast salads and bowls.
Grains, seudo-grains and lentils
– Quinoa, rice, millet and black lentils can all be cooked forward and utilized in stir-fries, patties, salads, soup toppings or desserts. Simply comply with the cooking directions (you relatively need to cook dinner 1 minute too little than 1 minute too lengthy), let cool and retailer in sealed glass containers within the fridge.
– Chickpeas and different beans are nice in salads, for hummus and different spreads, burgers, falafels, soup toppings and so on. Soak and pre-cook dried pulses and preserve in glass containers within the fridge. Or purchase them precooked and simply rinse and put them in a glass container.
We make forms of quinoa or rice patties each time we have now some quinoa or rice left in the direction of the tip of the week. They final properly within the fridge and may shine up any dinner or lunch. Retailer them stacked in glass jars within the fridge and easily warmth for a couple of minutes in a pan or the oven earlier than serving. Here’s a hyperlink to our Spinach & Quinoa Pattie recipe!
– It’s very straightforward to make a big portion soup so we regularly attempt to make soup on the weekend and preserve the leftover soup prepared within the fridge for lunch (with a lot of toppings). Some days the soup can even turn into a sauce for pasta or rice. Final week it was a model of this Carrot & Lentil Soup (with the addition of orange juice) and this week we made the Broccoli, Mint & Pea Soup from Inexperienced Kitchen at House. Take a look at our soup archive for extra inspo.
– One in all our favourite dinners and the leftovers retailer properly within the fridge. Simply make double trays and have the leftovers for lunch.
Broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower
– Break into florets (reduce brussels sprouts in half), drizzle with oil and bake at 200°C / 400°F for 20 minutes or till golden. We use these in salads, lunch bowls and stir fries. They’re additionally one in all our children favourite meals, simply barely reheated with none sauces or something. Retailer in glass containers within the fridge.
Candy potatoes, carrots, beetroot (and different roots)
– Lower into bite-size dices, fries or cash. Drizzle with oil and bake at 200°C / 400°F for 25 minutes. You possibly can combine roasted roots into hummus for a fantastic taste twist. Or put them inside heat sandwiches. Or just add them to salads. We frequently eat them chilly however you can too reheat them a couple of minutes in an oven.
Zucchini and aubergine / eggplant
– Slice them into skinny rounds, brush with oil, place on a baking tray and roast at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or till charred in the direction of the sides. Place in a container, drizzle some further oil, add 1 garlic clove and go away to marinate within the fridge. An important topping on soup or addition to any salad.
SAUCES & SIDES
Sunny Turmeric Tahini Sauce
– That is one in all our favourite sauces presently. We actually drizzle it on high of every thing. Salads, quinoa, kale, egg or sandwiches.
1 cup runny tahini
2 cups water
1/2 lemon, juice
1 tbsp maple syrup or uncooked honey
(1 tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar, optionally available)
1 chunk recent ginger, peeled
2 tbsp floor turmeric
sea salt & floor black pepper, to style
Merely add all elements to a blender and blend on excessive till clean and frothy. Style and regulate flavours to your liking. Pour the golden sauce right into a jar with an hermetic lid. Retailer within the fridge, retains as much as every week.
– Making home made nut butter isn’t solely straightforward however should you combine the nuts with 50% sunflower seeds it’s additionally so much cheaper. We are obsessive about nut butters and apply it to high of morning porridge, yogurt, sandwiches and desserts. It’s additionally nice paired with recent veggie sticks, apples and dates. Here’s a hyperlink to our home made nut and seed butter recipe.
– At all times have a jar of hummus within the fridge. Make it from scratch or purchase one of the best model you’ll find.
– Any pesto is a life-saver in relation to including extra flavour to a dish, however should you haven’t tried this Magic Inexperienced Sauce, give it a go!
– We’re devoted sauerkraut eaters and makers and have three wild fermented sauerkraut recipes in Inexperienced Kitchen at House, attempt the Golden sauerkraut right here. Should you don’t dare making your individual simply but, purchase a very good high quality one on the grocery store or well being meals retailer.
– These vegetable primarily based flatbreads have virtually turn into a signature recipe for us and are so nice to maintain within the fridge. Use them for fast pizzas or to make large hummus sandwiches. (Recipes in Inexperienced Kitchen at House)
– Bars or power balls are our lifesavers after we want a fast candy snack or post-workout deal with. We modify the recipe on a regular basis. Our Mint Chocolate Energy Bars, Nut, Quinoa Bars and Hemp Protein Bars are three good recipes to start out with. We have began making them barely smaller and wrapping them in baking paper so that they appear like caramels. They last more, are extra moveable and cute!
– These almond primarily based muffins are solely sweetened with dates and banana and a fantastic little deal with if you want an power kick. Make a double batch and retailer one bag within the fridge and one other within the freezer.
Nut & Seed Bread
– We make this flour-free Nut & Seed Bread as an various to our standard rye bread. We all the time make two of those loaves on the identical time so they’ll last more. One slice may be very filling and satisfies cravings and blood-sugar spikes.
– We prep a big batch of chia pudding that we retailer in massive jar. It’s a simple breakfast, dessert, mid-day snack or porridge topping.
In a single day Oats
– Probably the most frequent in a single day oats recipe we make is the one with orange & vanilla. We use half orange juice and have plant milk to soak and make a big batch and retailer within the small jars, simply seize a portioned jar within the morning and breakfast is served.
– You possibly can in fact purchase a granola should you like to avoid wasting time nevertheless it’s straightforward to make and excellent if you wish to clear out your pantry from the final bits and items of seeds, grains, nuts and dried fruit. We’ve got many granola recipes in our books however this Banana Granola can be a common one. Generally we additionally make a Savory Granola that’s nice on high of salads and soups.
Hope you favored this! If you need extra concepts what to do along with your prepped elements, take a look at our instagrams (gkstories | luisegreenkitchenstories) as we’re sharing extra each day salad bowls, soups and meals there.
Do you meal prep at house? We’d like to know all of your meal prepping ideas and methods . Please go away a remark and share!