Healthy Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
It’s February, which implies that we’re an entire month previous the “wholesome new 12 months” enthusiasm that all of us may need had 34 days in the past when the clock struck January 2nd… however I’m right here to inform you that you simply it’s okay(!) for those who turned to tacky consolation meals in the course of the polar vortex or for those who’re craving chocolate now that Valentine’s Day is getting shut. In my view, life is just too quick to (ever) really feel responsible about meals and one factor that helps me really feel balanced is to purpose for a wholesome lunch.
Once I labored in an workplace, the lunches I packed had been a few of the healthiest meals I’d eat in per week. They had been stuffed with recent veggies, they saved me from consuming out, and so they had been satisfying sufficient to maintain me from getting too snack-y in the course of the afternoon. Immediately, I’m sharing my favourite kinds of wholesome meals to pack for lunch, together with my greatest suggestions for prepping and taking them to go.
Do you’ve got suggestions for packing wholesome lunches? I’d love to listen to them. Depart a remark beneath along with your favourite piece of recommendation.
My favourite class of weekday lunch. We’re speaking pasta salads, noodle salads, slaws, leafless salads, and, after all, kale salads. Greens and noodles that maintain up effectively (and even enhance) when dressed forward of time are splendid right here.
- The right way to meal prep: Prep the recipe start-to-finish forward of time & retailer in to-go containers! You would possibly need to freshen servings up with additional dressing, a squeeze of lemon, or a pinch of sea salt (#desksalt) however these salads ought to hold effectively within the fridge.
- The right way to pack: Carry servings in to-go containers (I like these glass ones). If I do know I’ll need to serve these with slightly lemon or lime, I’ll tuck a wedge on prime of the salad. Packing garnishes like crunchy seeds or recent herbs on prime of a salad or taking them in a small separate container generally is a enjoyable contact as effectively.
- What to make:
Primarily salad’s heartier cousin. My favourite bowls include a grain, a protein (chickpeas, lentils, baked tofu, and many others.), loads of uncooked + cooked veggies, and a yummy sauce. Prime with nuts, seeds, herbs, or one thing pickled for additional texture and pops of taste.
- The right way to meal prep: Relying on the recipe you’re making, cook dinner a giant batch of grains forward of time and prep your protein of selection. This might imply cooking a batch of chickpeas, draining and rinsing canned beans if that’s extra your fashion, or baking cubes of tofu. Combine up your sauce, and chop, steam, or roast veggies on your bowl.
- The right way to pack: I wish to layer bowl elements individually inside a single container and blend them collectively as I eat. Pack sauce on the facet!
- What to make:
Sandwiches and wraps
Sandwiches and wraps can get a nasty rap as a less-than-healthy lunch selection, however for those who fill them with loads of recent veggies and plant-based protein, they could be a nice take-to-work selection. Good vegan filling choices are veggies with a hearty unfold, chickpea salad, or planks of baked tofu or tempeh. In the event you’re not vegan, slightly cheese can go a great distance in including taste and endurance to a sandwich.
- The right way to meal prep: Sandwiches are greatest made day-of, however for quick morning meeting, prep elements over the weekend. For instance, make a batch of a yummy unfold like this spinach hummus, pulse collectively a chickpea salad, or marinate & bake tempeh for this membership sandwich. I additionally advocate washing and drying greens and thinly slicing crisp veggies forward of time. Within the morning (or the night time earlier than), layer your bread along with your ready elements, and your lunch will probably be prepared in minutes!
- The right way to pack: I wish to wrap sandwiches in foil to assist them maintain collectively throughout journey. In the event you eat sandwiches typically, a reusable wrap is perhaps a worthwhile funding.
- What to make:
Final however not least, leftovers(!) are an excellent lunch to take to work. Many soups, stews, and curries style higher on the second day, so that you’ll do your self a favor by setting apart a serving for lunch. Loaded veggie pizzas, and veggie patties additionally hold effectively.
- The right way to meal prep: Make dinner!
- The right way to pack: I wish to crumble leftover veggie patties over leafy greens, taking dressing in a small separate container. Pack curries and rice on separate sides of a single container, or carry them in two small containers in order that the curry stays saucy till lunchtime. In the event you’re packing up a soup or a stew you realize you’ll need to reheat, ensure that to retailer it in a BPA Free microwave-safe container. Glass is all the time my first selection. I take advantage of these. Undoubtedly no metallic right here except you’ll be reheating your meal in a pot on the range.
- What to make:
Completely satisfied lunching!