Louise Aaronson’s Pear Tart with Sage Custard and Candied Sage Leaves
Louise Aaronson is a meals author and cooking teacher with 30 years of expertise.
This pear tart is French in origin, however it was whereas she was residing in Switzerland that she realized to make the crust with confectioner’s sugar. Sage provides a brand new, seasonal style.
See different associated recipes in Herbed Sweets
Yield: eight servings
Prep time: about 1½ hours (parts could also be made forward and assembled day of sale)
Shelf life: finest in 1 day
For the pastry:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, reduce into items
1 giant egg yolk, crushed
Four tablespoons seedless preserves or jelly, melted
For the pastry cream:
1½ cups entire milk
6 to eight giant sage leaves, reduce in half
three giant egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
pinch white pepper (non-compulsory)
For the pears:
2 cups riesling and a couple of cups water, or Four cups water
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 (Four-inch) cinnamon stick
2 strips lemon zest
Four ripe however agency Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and halved
For the candied sage leaves:
½ cup superfine sugar
10 sage leaves
1 egg white calmly crushed with a pinch of salt
- Make the pastry: In a meals processor, mix the flour, sugar, almonds, salt, butter and egg yolk and pulse to mix. Don’t overprocess. Collect the dough collectively and flatten right into a disk. Wrap properly and refrigerate for as much as 2 days or freeze for later use. If frozen, thaw in a single day in fridge.
- On a floured floor, roll the pastry out and switch to a 9½-inch fluted tart pan with a detachable backside. Freeze till able to bake.
- Place the oven rack within the middle and warmth a cookie sheet to 375 F.
- Prick the crust throughout with a fork, line with buttered parchment paper and fill with rice or dried beans. Place the shell on the cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Fastidiously take away the parchment and rice or beans, prick once more and bake till golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Place on baking rack and brush with slightly of the melted preserves whereas nonetheless heat. Cool utterly earlier than filling.
- Make the cream: In a small heavy saucepan, mix the milk and sage leaves, carry to a simmer and take away from the warmth. Put aside to steep for 15 minutes. Take away the leaves and return to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and flour till easy.
- Take away the sage leaves from the milk and slowly pour half of the recent milk into the egg yolk combination, whisking repeatedly. Whisk the combination again into the saucepan and prepare dinner over low warmth till thick, about 10 minutes, stirring continually with a heat-resistant rubber spatula to scrape the perimeters of the pan.
- Take away from the warmth and stir within the vanilla, butter and white pepper, if utilizing. Switch to a ceramic bowl, place a bit of plastic wrap straight on the floor of the pastry cream, and let cool for about 15 minutes earlier than refrigerating. This may be ready 1 to 2 days prematurely. Whisk properly earlier than utilizing.
- Put together the pears: In a saucepan over medium, mix the water, sugar, cinnamon stick and lemon zest, and produce to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Cook dinner the poaching liquid for three minutes, fastidiously add the pear halves, cut back the warmth to low, cowl and poach for 10 minutes. Verify for doneness with the tip of a small knife. Don’t overcook; the pears ought to be agency, not gentle. Cool the pears within the poaching liquid. They could be ready 1 day prematurely, lined and refrigerated.
- Put together the sage leaves: Pour the sugar right into a shallow pan. Frivolously brush the sage leaves with the egg white and shake them within the sugar till coated. Take away to a cooling rack and let dry for about an hour or till arduous.
- Assemble the dessert: Fill the cooled tart shell with the pastry cream and prime with thinly sliced poached pears. Brush the pears with the remaining melted preserves and garnish with candied sage leaves.
Dietary Knowledge (per serving): Energy: 600; Ldl cholesterol: 105 mg; Sodium: 100 mg; Fats: 16 g; Dietary Fiber: three g