Pesto Butternut Squash with Oats
I’ve been hanging onto the suitable time to share this recipe and in doing so, I fell into spring. So take into account this my final winter recipe. From right here on out it’s all asparagus and strawberries. Nevertheless, I needed to share this recipe simply incase you occur to have one final lonely squash hanging round.
It is a riff on a sandwich I had however as an alternative of sandwich kind, I tossed all the things right into a grain bowl with oat groats. I don’t use entire oats sufficient. Their taste is a little more than different grains however will be excellent for including a contact of heat to the general meal.
A simple and scrumptious entire grain butternut squash salad with fennel and pesto. An amazing aspect dish or picnic salad!
½ cup raw oat groats
1 ½ kilos butternut squash
½ medium fennel head
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
three to four tablespoons home made or store-bought pesto
Vegetarian parmesan, for serving
- Warmth a pot over medium-low warmth. Add the oat groats and toast for two to three minutes. Cowl the oats with 2 cups of water. Carry to a boil, scale back to a simmer, and prepare dinner till the oats are tender; 45 to 55 minutes.
- Whereas the oats are cooking, peel and reduce the butternut squash into ½” cubes and the fennel cored and chopped into ½” sized slices. Place on a roasting pan with olive oil and salt. Toss to coat. Roast till the squash is tender; 30 minutes or so.
- When the oats and squash are accomplished, place collectively in a bowl together with the pesto. Toss till all the things is properly mixed. Grate parmesan on high earlier than serving. Serve heat or save and place within the fridge to function a chilly salad.
Pesto Butternut Squash
Vegan: Drop the cheese from the pesto and the topping.
Candy Potatoes: Swap out the butternut squash for candy potatoes.
Grains: Use any hearty grains rather than the oat groats. Farro, Spelt, or sorghum are my high decisions for changing the oats.
- Previous Plant-Based Monday: Mandarins
- Next Meal Plan Day 4: Broccolini & Brussels Sprout Orecchiette Recipe