Prepared Food Focus: Spirited Cooking
Like salt, a small quantity of alcohol highlights and brightens different flavors in a dish. Listed below are three recipes, utilizing bourbon, rum and Grand Marnier, to enliven your menu.
by Joanna Pruess
Beer and wine are indispensible in positive cooking, however they aren’t the one alcoholic drinks that may improve the flavors of dishes savory and candy. Brandies and liqueurs; whiskeys, bourbons, rum and tequila; and fortified wines can add taste and complexity, although a measure of restraint is important with the upper alcohol contents.
Whereas generally thought that boiling an alcoholic liquid removes virtually the entire alcohol, research present that isn’t the case. A number of components have an effect on the extent of alcohol remaining: the quantity initially used, how lengthy it cooks and stands, the depth of warmth and even the dimensions of the cooking
vessel. Very similar to salt, a small quantity of alcohol acts to focus on and brighten different flavors in a dish.
Attempt the Recipes:
- Jamaican Jerk Hen with Coconut, Plantains and
- Lobster Cobb Salad with Bourbon French dressing
- Pumpkin-Walnut Cupcakes with Grand Marnier
A examine by the USDA’s Nutrient Knowledge Laboratory calculated the proportion of alcohol remaining in a dish primarily based on numerous cooking strategies. Listed below are the outcomes:
Flamed (flambé): 75% Alcohol Remaining / 25% Burned Off
Left uncovered in a single day, no warmth: 70% Alcohol Remaining / 30% Burned Off
Stirred into combination and baked or simmered for 1 hour: 25% Alcohol Remaining / 75% Burned Off
Stirred into combination; baked or simmered for 2½ hours: 5% Alcohol Remaining / 95% Burned Off
Supply: USDA Desk of Nutrient Retention Components, Launch 6
Joanna Pruess is an everyday contributor to Specialty Meals Journal.
- Previous Warm Black Lentil Salad with Almonds, Apricots, and Celeriac
- Next Louise Aaronson’s Pear Tart with Sage Custard and Candied Sage Leaves