Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie with Asparagus and Mushrooms
This hen Pot Pie—one among my favourite consolation meals recipes—is a lightened-up model because of a puff pastry crust, a great deal of recent veggies, and a creamy but lower-fat and lower-calorie sauce that brings all of the flavors collectively.
This recipe is dropped at you by Almond Breeze
Rooster pot pie, with its do-it-yourself buttery crust and thick creamy sauce, rings within the consolation meals season each Fall after which continues effectively into the comfortable vibes of winter. Who’s with me in calling this pure consolation in a bowl?
However when winter offers solution to spring and we begin easing into our summery daze, these cravings for conventional hen pot pie get a literal gut-check when confronted with the actual fact it’s time to transition from hiding beneath winter’s cocooning cardigan sweaters to strutting our stuff in summer season shorts and sassy swimsuits.
However that’s what I really like about this lighter hen pot pie recipe: It cures my still-holding-strong consolation meals cravings (as a result of do they ever actually disappear?) with a more healthy adaptation of components, making it a favourite home-cooked dinner it doesn’t matter what season it exhibits off in.
How one can Make a Lighter Rooster Pot Pie
I, for one, am all in regards to the joys of a basic hen pot pie, resplendent with a do-it-yourself butter crust and a butter and cream sauce that leaves you begging for seconds. I imply, it’s the dinner I ask for yearly on my birthday as a result of if there’s sooner or later to deal with yo’self, yo’ birthday is it!
My husband was the primary one to take this puff pastry crust shortcut rather than an everyday double-crust pie, which in itself is stunning as a result of he’s at all times of the “extra butter, extra cream” mentality. However like so many people cooks within the kitchen, he’s determining that making small ingredient tweaks and more healthy decisions can actually make a distinction in each saving time and in saving our waistlines with out sacrificing style.
These more healthy decisions begin with the hen pot pie filling that’s loaded chock filled with recent veggies that step outdoors the standard ingredient combine—asparagus, mushrooms, leeks—with a little bit of garlic and recent thyme sautéed in only a little bit of canola oil whereas carrots, child purple potatoes, and peas give a nod to the basic pot pie flavors.
How one can Make a More healthy “Cream” Sauce
As soon as the veggies have cooked to change into tender and the hen is added, I just about observe my identical technique for conventional pot pie by making a roux by sprinkling the components within the skillet with all-purpose flour after which stirring and cooking for a minute or two so to lose that floured style.
However the place I deviate from my conventional recipe is skipping further dollops of butter and utilizing Almond Breeze almondmilk Authentic with hen broth in lieu of cream. With this technique, I’m saving fats and energy—solely 2.5 grams of fats and 60 energy per cup of almondmilk of which this recipe requires simply half that quantity. Plus, almond milk is each shelf steady and fridge prepared so it’s simple to have available.
The result’s a creamy sauce that delivers all of the pot pie taste.
How one can Put together Your Rooster
I cooked my skinless hen breast within the On the spot Pot (Three boneless hen breasts with 1 cup of water, 1/2 yellow onion, 1-2 teaspoons of kosher salt and 5 or so peppercorns on excessive stress for 10 minutes and a 10 minute pure launch) then chopped the hen into chew measurement chunks. You would at all times bake your hen breasts if you happen to favor or use a rotisserie hen as a substitute.
This recipe makes sufficient filling for Four particular person tall baking dishes or ramekins (1 1/2 to 2 cups every), or two 9-inch pies or 1 heaping 10-inch pie. You too can put together it in a casserole baking dish too. These are the bowls I exploit they usually’re below $Three every.
The packages of puff pastry I exploit include two sheets of pastry. I used only one to make these 4 particular person pies by rolling the pastry out only a bit thinner than it comes out of the package deal, then chopping it into quarters to high the filling and simply barely grasp over the edges of the bowls, leaving only a little bit of filling to peek out of the sides.
A fast whisk of egg and water is brushed onto the puff pastry earlier than they go off into the oven to change into golden brown and all puffed-up—similar to your ego will probably be when everybody declares how a lot they love these lightened-up pot pies.
When you make this recipe, please let me know! Bookmark this recipe and depart a remark beneath, or take a photograph and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Puff Pastry Rooster Pot Pie with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ cups thinly sliced leeks, white components solely
- 1½ cup sliced brown mushrooms
- Three cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1½ cups chopped asparagus
- 1 cup child purple potatoes, quartered
- ½ cup sliced carrots, about 2 carrots
- 1½ teaspoons recent thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- Four cups diced hen breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hen broth
- 1 cup Almond Breeze almondmilk Authentic
- 1 package deal frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- Warmth the oil in a big skillet or dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the leeks and prepare dinner for Four-5 minutes, stirring sometimes, till they start to melt. Add the sliced mushrooms, season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and prepare dinner for five extra minutes, stirring sometimes. Stir within the garlic and prepare dinner till aromatic, about 2 minutes then add the asparagus, purple potatoes, carrots, and thyme leaves. Season with the remainder of the salt and the black pepper and proceed to prepare dinner for 7-10 minutes till the potatoes and asparagus change into tender. Add the hen and the peas and stir to mix. Sprinkle the combination with the flour, then stir to mix effectively and prepare dinner for one more 2-Three minutes. Stir within the hen broth and almond milk and convey to a boil, and prepare dinner till thickened, about 2-Three minutes, stirring typically. Style, and add extra salt and pepper if wanted. Flip off the warmth and permit to chill barely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels F.
- Unwrap the puff pastry and use a rolling pin to elongate the dough. Reduce the puff pastry into Four squares.
- Fill every baking dish or ramekin with 1½ cups of the hen pot pie filling, then high with a puff pastry sq.. Repeat with the remaining ramekins. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and evenly brush the puff pastry with the egg. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes till the filling is effervescent and the puff pastry is golden. Serve scorching.
Extra Lightened-Up Recipes With Almond Milk You’ll Need to Make, Too
This publish is sponsored by Almond Breeze. As at all times, thanks for studying and supporting corporations I associate with, which permits me to create extra distinctive content material and recipes for you. All opinions are at all times my very own.
Thanks for studying and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have every publish delivered straight to your e-mail field.
Study extra about my printed day-planner Nourished Planner right here, and join free, emailed weekly meal plans.
Observe me on Instagram, Fb, Pinterest and Twitter for extra FoodieCrush inspiration.
Subscribe and have each FoodieCrush publish delivered straight to your e-mail inbox
(Visited Three instances, 1 visits in the present day)