Quinoa Chard Frittata with Balsamic Onions
Submit sponsored by Bob’s Crimson Mill. See beneath for extra particulars.
I do know most individuals obsess over the vacation dinners. There are schedules and multi-day prep routines. Relying in your character, it may really feel energizing or it may really feel utterly overwhelming. So what occurs whenever you even have to consider having visitor keep over, which incorporates feeding them breakfast?
It may really feel like ‘yet one more factor.’ However fortunately, there are some stable breakfast recipes that everybody can get pleasure from. For starters, wow them with a good looking chard frittata!
Eat your greens
One of many greatest pushes for sharing this recipe is to speak about chard. Each time I ask folks what one factor they want they cooked extra with, I get an amazing quantity of ‘chard’ as the reply. It may be a tricky inexperienced to love however it’s a type of ‘get to know’ kind gadgets. That means, when you get to understand it, you change into good associates.
To get you began, I’ll allow you to in on my relationship with this greenage. I like chard simply barely-cooked OR utterly cooked, past recognition. Chard, when cooked to an in-between stage, has an unappealing, virtually slimy texture. It’s simply not my factor.
And so, for this chard frittata, I cook dinner the greens nicely. Past nicely, actually. It melts into the onions and it’s the right companion for the quinoa and feta.
All of the onion taste
I like the flavour of caramelized onions however I’m within the camp that you could’t have true caramelized onions with out a stable period of time. Something labeled as such however solely tells you to cook dinner onions for 20 minutes is simply flawed. You want the reward of time to actually get that good, candy taste.
Nevertheless, I’ve a cheat and it’s good for once I need flavorful onions in lower than 20 minutes. I cook dinner the onions till delicate and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. It’s undoubtedly not the identical taste however cooking the onions a bit longer within the vinegar permits the vinegar to cut back and change into a bit sweeter, serving to the onions out.
You may at all times use pre-cooked caramelized onions (if you happen to’re into batch/prep cooking). You may additionally simply use common cooked onions or shallots (equally as good on this recipe).
Grains, grain, and extra grains
Grains aren’t a standard frittata addition for many however they’re virtually a necessity in my kitchen. I don’t like an overly-eggy frittata. It’s why I don’t use a ton of milk within the base (in actual fact, you’ll see I take advantage of cream as a substitute of milk too). Utilizing grains actually helps steadiness the egg to further ratio.
So why Bob’s Crimson Mill Quinoa? It’s my reliable, quick-cooking grain. It cooks within the period of time it takes to make the onions. However actually, most of the time, I have already got a batch cooked in my fridge making this chard frittata even simpler.
Whether or not you’re in search of a stable weekend breakfast or a meal that may feed your vacation home visitor, a frittata is the right go-to. It may simply be tailored to make use of no matter you might have readily available together with herbs, greens, grains, and loads of cheese.
½ cup Bob’s Crimson Mill Quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
Pinch of Salt
1 massive yellow onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
four cups shredded chard
6 massive eggs
three tablespoons heavy cream
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix quinoa, vegetable broth, and salt in a small saucepan. Carry to a boil, cut back to a simmer, cowl, and cook dinner for 12 to 13 minutes. After that point, take away the pan from the warmth and let steam till prepared to make use of. Alternatively, use about 1 cup leftover quinoa if in case you have that obtainable.
- To make onions, lower into ⅛” thick half circles. Warmth over low the olive oil in a skillet. Place sliced onions in skillet and cook dinner till they start to brown, 10-15 minutes. As soon as onions are cooked, stir in balsamic vinegar and proceed to cook dinner till vinegar reduces down, about 5 minutes. Stir within the chard and proceed to cook dinner till wilted, one other 5 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Whereas the onions are cooking, mix the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk nicely to mix.
- When the chard is cooked down, pour the eggs over the combination and stir. Let cook dinner for a pair minutes, simply to let the underside set. Sprinkle with the feta
- Switch the frittata to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. The frittata ought to be puffed and browning.
Prep forward: Precook the quinoa and onions forward of time. Then day-of, cook dinner the chard and add the onions/quinoa earlier than including the egg combination.
- Serving Dimension: 1/four of the frittata
- Energy: 330
- Sugar: 2.7
- Sodium: 619
- Fats: 21.9
- Saturated Fats: 6.four
- Carbohydrates: 19.eight
- Fiber: 2.5
- Protein: 13.7
- Ldl cholesterol: 291
Key phrases: chard frittata, vegetarian frittata
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Bob’s Crimson Mill. All ideas and opinions are my very own. It’s content material like this that helps me maintain this website working to supply the vegetarian recipes you see each week.
- Previous White Bean Soup with Kale & Wild Rice Recipe
- Next White Bean Soup with Kale & Wild Rice Recipe