Rye and Chickpea Flour Crostata with Fontina, Dried Figs, Caramelized Onions and Prosciutto
When rye and chickpea flours are mixed, as within the crust for this tasty crostata, the feel is each toothsome and tender. It’s a pleasant companion for the savory-sweet filling of fontina, caramelized onions, prosciutto, and figs. Rye flour is sort of absorbent, so the dough is refrigerated a pair occasions in the course of the prep. Crostatas are sometimes considerably free type in form and thus rustic in look.
See different associated recipes in The Energy of Different Flours
Yield: 6 parts
Prep time: about 45 minutes plus 2 hours unattended refrigeration
Shelf life: three to Four days
⅔ cup chickpea flour
⅔ cup darkish rye flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 giant egg
1 tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon honey
Four ounces chilled unsalted butter, minimize into cubes
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
5 ounces thinly sliced onion
.2 ounces minced garlic
.1 ounce chopped recent thyme
three ounces fontina cheese, shredded
Four ounces dried black mission figs
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly floor black pepper
1 egg, blended with 1 tablespoon milk or cream, to brush on crust
- For the crust: In a meals processor fitted with a metal blade, mix the chickpea and rye flours and salt; pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse into 1/Four-inch items.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, cream, and honey collectively; add to the flour combination and pulse till the dough resembles coarse meal. Add the lemon juice and pulse a number of extra occasions till the dough begins to drag collectively. Flip onto a floured board and knead briefly right into a disk. Cowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or in a single day.
- On a floured workspace, parchment, or Silpat, roll the dough right into a 12-inch circle. Switch to a jellyroll pan and refrigerate whereas making ready the filling.
- For the filling: In a big skillet, warmth the oil and butter over medium-high till scorching. Add the onions, stirring to separate the items, and cook dinner for about 2 minutes. Scale back the warmth to medium-low and sauté till the onions are golden, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring usually. Stir within the garlic and thyme and put aside to chill; toss with the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels. Take away the dough from the fridge.
- In a meals processor, chop the figs and prosciutto into small items; unfold evenly over the crust, leaving a few 1 ½-inch border. Cowl with the cheese-onion combination and fold the crust over the filling, pleating the dough. Brush the dough with the egg combination.
- Switch to the oven and bake till golden brown, about 20 minutes. Take away and let stand for 15 minutes earlier than slicing.