Stilton and Port-Cherry Cream Puffs
This cream puff dessert will attraction to classy clients who respect England’s well-known Stilton blue cheese together with a garnish of dried cherries in port wine.
By Joanna Pruess
See different associated recipes in Past Mac and Cheese: Utilizing Finer Cheeses With out Breaking the Financial institution.
Yield: eight cream puffs
Cooking time: 1½ hours
Shelf life: greatest inside a day of filling; shells, cheese and cherries could also be ready a day or two forward of time
For the puffs:
¹⁄Three cup entire milk
¹⁄Three cup water
four tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2⁄Three cup all-purpose flour
Three massive eggs, crushed
For the cherries:
½ cup dried tart cherries
¼ cup port
Three tablespoons currant jelly
For the filling:
9 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
1 pint heavy cream, chilled
four tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Match a pastry bag (or plastic freezer bag with ½-inch opening lower from one backside nook) with a plain ½-inch tip. Place an oven rack in the midst of the oven and warmth to 400 F.
2. In a small saucepan, mix the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt and convey to a boil over medium. Add the flour and cut back the warmth to low. Utilizing a picket spoon, stir the combination till it’s easy, shiny and pulls away from the edges of the pan, about Three minutes. Flip off the warmth.
Three. Stir till barely cooled, about 2 minutes. Add a few third of the crushed eggs, stirring vigorously till completely integrated earlier than including the following third of the eggs. For the remaining egg, add all however a few tablespoon of the crushed egg to the dough and stir vigorously to include. Reserve the additional egg to glaze the puffs.
four. Spoon the combination into the pastry bag and pipe out eight 2½-inch round mounds, about 2 inches aside. Beat the remaining egg with a teaspoon of water and brush everywhere in the surfaces of the puffs, taking care to not let it drip onto the parchment. Bake for 15 minutes, then cut back to 350 F. and proceed baking till the puffs are a deep golden brown, crisp and ethereal, about 30 to 35 minutes. Take away and switch to a rack to chill utterly, about 15 minutes.
5. Whereas the puffs are baking, in a small pan mix the cherries, port and jelly. Convey to a boil over excessive warmth, prepare dinner 1 minute after which put aside to chill.
6. Beat the Stilton with a handheld electrical mixer till easy. Add the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla and beat into stiff peaks. Cowl and refrigerate.
7. Assemble the cream puffs: Utilizing a serrated knife, rigorously slice off the highest third of every puff and, utilizing your fingers, gently draw back any delicate dough left inside.
eight. Scrape the Stilton filling into a big pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe into the bottoms of the cream puffs. Spoon the cherries onto the cream, return the tops and serve, or chill for as much as Three hours.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per serving): Energy: 400; Ldl cholesterol: 150 mg; Sodium: 670 mg; Fats: 27 g; Dietary Fiber: <1 g
Ingredient Price Sheets
|¹⁄Three cup entire milk||$.08-.14|
|four tablespoons unsalted butter||$.20-.34|
|½ teaspoon sugar||$.01-.02|
|2⁄Three cup all-purpose flour||$.11-.18|
|Three massive eggs, crushed||$.30-.50|
|½ cup dried tart cherries||$1.87-Three.12|
|¼ cup port||$.53-.88|
|Three tablespoons currant jelly||$.18-.30|
|9 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled||$four.04-6.73|
|1 pint heavy cream, chilled||$1.49-2.49|
|four tablespoons sugar||$.07-.12|
|½ teaspoon vanilla extract||$.08-.13|