Twice-Baked Honeynut Squash with Brown Butter
I’m sliding into the vacations with a stable facet dish concept, certain to start out a dialog. These twice-baked honeynut squash should not solely scrumptious however have a enjoyable story about this newer squash selection.
What’s honeynut squash?
Honeynut squash was developed by a problem between Dan Barber and Michael Mouzarek. The purpose: develop a greater model of the butternut squash. Amazingly sufficient, not solely did the honeynut squash come from that problem however a brand new seed firm centered on cross breeding greens (known as Row 7). I’ve goals of rising fairly a number of completely different varieties.
When it comes to the honeynut squash, consider what a butternut squash style like however intensify the flavour. It has a heat sweetness that the standard butternut squash simply can’t rival. The honeynut squash was bred with style in thoughts, and it undoubtedly lives as much as that purpose.
In fact, it’s not all the time straightforward to seek out these pleasant squash and that’s okay. This recipe would work simply as effectively with common butternut squash, delicata squash, or acorn squash. You would all the time change mediums and take a look at a twice-baked candy potatoes.
Serve this with these recipes
Clearly, this is able to make an important addition to your vacation meal. It’s the right method so as to add coloration to your meal. Plus, these twice-baked honeynut squash can simply be prepped forward of time and baked the second time proper earlier than serving.
Past the vacations, this recipe is nice as a facet with a stable salad (like this recipe), quinoa or brown rice desserts, or with a quiche/egg bake.
Make it Vegan
Swap the butter out for olive oil. The flavour received’t fairly be the identical however it is going to work simply as effectively. You would additionally go together with a flavored oil like walnut oil. Utilizing walnut oil would add a pleasant added taste of the walnuts, working effectively with the rosemary and sage.
A shocking facet dish prepared for the vacations or Sunday dinner, these twice-baked honeynut squash are gentle on components however not on taste.
2 to three small honeynut squash
three tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced contemporary rosemary
1 tablespoons contemporary minced sage
half of teaspoon salt
½ to ¾ cup breadcrumbs
5 sage leaves, fried
- Warmth your oven to 425˚F. Slice the butternut squash in half, lengthwise, and place cut-side down on a sheet tray coated with parchment paper. Bake till the squash is tender, 25 to 40 minutes, relying on the dimensions of your squash. Take away from the oven, take away the seeds, and scoop the remaining squash right into a bowl.
- Whereas the squash bake, place butter in a heat skillet. Let the butter soften and proceed stirring whereas butter foams up. As soon as brown flecks seem on the backside of the pan, take away from the warmth and stir within the rosemary and sage. Let relaxation for a couple of minutes then stir into the bowl of squash. Add the salt and stir to mix every thing.
- Switch the butternut squash filling again into the squash shells. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and return the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, simply sufficient to brown the tops. Take away from oven and sprinkle with crushed fried sage.
Ideas & Methods: To fry the sage, warmth a small quantity of oil in a pan. Add the sage and cook dinner till the sage modifications coloration, flipping as soon as. Take away from the skillet and let cool/crisp.
Key phrases: twice-baked squash, honeynut squash
- Previous Roasted Delicata Squash w/ Red Cabbage & Blue Cheese Recipe
- Next Stuffing Lovers Unite: 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Instant Pot Mushroom and Onion Stuffing